Monday, January 29, 2007

A car ride and an adoption day event.

I was at the shelter on Saturday morning for an Eagle Scout project and when I was finishing up, Linda was getting her stuff ready to go to do her adoption day at Tomlinson's. I figured it couldn't hurt to see how Sandy does in a car, so I went home and took her for a run and while she was cooling down, I showered. I put the Gentle Leader collar back on her and took her out and tried to get her to jump up into the back of the SUV, but no go. She cowered at the end of the leash and I had to lift her up and put her in there. She seemed fine once I closed the hatch and looked at me over the seats while I drove. She seemed to enjoy looking out the back window of the vehicle while we were traveling. We didn't have any car sickness, which is very nice.

We showed up over at Tomlinson's and I walked Sandy over to where Linda and her volunteer were sitting with Aragon and Gizmo and Linda didn't recognize me at first. I pulled up the spare chair and said hello. Sandy was still wearing her Premier collar, and she was behaving very nicely. We chatted a few minutes and Sandy and Aragon sniffed at each other with no one getting upset. I walked Sandy into the store and she didn't seem too concerned. She didn't try to pull me along and run around the store, but she also didn't shy away from going through the doorway which has been a habit of hers (except the front/back door at home). We looked around a little bit and went back outside to hang out. I put a leash on her regular collar and let the dogs visit while I did. Things seemed to go fairly smoothly and Sandy pretty much sat there or tried to get the other dogs to play. She was nice to a few people that walked by and let them pet her. She did bark a little at a family carrying a small Papillon mix. I am not sure if she was barking at the dog or the little boy. I took her over the grass and since she was on a leash with her regular collar, she tried to pull her way to the places she wanted to go. She didn't seem to need a bathroom break, so I took her back over to visit. We stayed for about an hour and then it was time to put her walking collar/leash back on. She wasn't too interested in getting back into the Gentle Leader since she already had a leash on, but I put it on her and walked her over to the car and had to scoop her up to put her in. The ride home was uneventful.

My insights from all this:
1) Sandy does fine travelling in a car, though I don't know specifically about a car since I had her in the back section of the SUV behind the rear seats.
2) Sandy doesn't want to get into the car.
3) Sandy is fine at an adoption day at a smaller/less busy venue, especially outdoors where she is least afraid of being "trapped".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Sandy is making progress.