Thursday, October 25, 2007

Coming up on 13 weeks

I have been very busy with extracurriculars and haven't been blogging. Barktoberfest followed by the IBM Uptown Classic 10K and this week the IBM Fall Festival where I am in charge of the Haunted House. Sunday I will finally get a break. Hermes had to spend the entire weekend last weekend at the shelter since I spent the weekend working the race setup and teardown and the race. This weekend I have to be in the Haunted House from 6-9 on Saturday and won't be able to zoom out to CP to get Hermes from the shelter so he will have to spend another Sat. night at the shelter.

Hermes hasn't gotten the attention that he used to. I hardly find time to walk him and now that it is getting dark earlier, I use that as an excuse. I need to get back to walking with him in the morning and the evening. He is a good boy and affectionate in his own way. After a long day in the yard, he zooms around us when we come in and I have to take him out back and play with him or he dashes around the house like a madman and with the tile and laminate floors, he doesn't get a good grip.

Saturday will be 13 weeks we have had Hermes. He is such a sweet dog, I don't know why he isn't adopted. He doesn't show well at the shelter where he just paces around. I need to stay at the shelter and keep him in the office with me. He does well when he is with someone. That would help him show better. He is looking like he will take the longevity title (don't recall if it was Bubby or Sandy he is taking the title from). Of course, after having him for nearly 3 months, I start thinking about keeping him, but then I remind myself that the idea here is to help more dogs and to find good homes. All of the dogs that I have brought home have been sweet and affectionate with me, but the goal is to get them placed and I am just an extension of the shelter. Still, it can be tough. Well, I need to find some time to spend here at home and get back to Hermes training. He is obedient about staying with me when I am out working in the front yard, but he doesn't "come" to me, but will come back and come with me. He also doesn't come over to me when called in the house. I need to work on the come command.

No comments: