Monday, May 7, 2007

Escape artist


I have been using a superyard xt play yard as a fence to keep the dog confined to certain rooms at home. She has become somewhat of an escape artist. We have come home a couple of times to find her "free" in the house. I attributed one of them to her climbing over a chair and another one to climbing on the sofa, but last night I had her penned in the kitchen and I woke up about midnight with her standing panting in my bedroom. I fixed up the gate and picked her up and put her back in the kitchen. I added some bungees to secure the fence. About 4:15 this morning, I found her standing in my bedroom panting. She had been able to knock free 1 bungee and slide by the gate. This is a very bad sign for once she gets treatment. I can crate her, but I have to pick her up and force her into the crate. This is no mean feat and at 65 pounds, she isn't even a big retriever. Today I setup the play yard as a hexagon and added a couple of extra panels and put her in it in the living room. I hope that I will find her in there when I get home. If not, I am not sure what we are going to be able to do for her once she gets treatment. I guess the next solution would be to get a dog run setup in the house. The problems that I see with that is she doesn't lay calmly when penned up. She needs to be calm after treatment and I am not sure how much better it will be penning her at home versus the shelter. The only upside I see to home is that she doesn't have the other dogs getting her riled up.

No comments: