Saturday, January 5, 2008

Think it might be time to finally dig that doggy sandbox

I was hanging out yesterday on the deck reading a book and KD was wandering around the yard unearthing bones and rawhides that were hidden here and there and playing with them for a few minutes and then taking them and burying them somewhere else. Some of the places are already dug in and some are in the rocks between the trees, but some areas around the fence and deck have new small holes where she put or took stuff. I think it is time for me to get off my backside and finally convert the old planter bed in the back of the yard into a doggy sandbox. The weather is supposed to be gorgeous today, so I guess I can dig out some of the soil that is in there. I have to dig out some of the soil, tamp the soil down, add a layer of gravel and then add sand. I guess this is a moderately big project, but hopefully I will be motivated and work on it this weekend. I would like to get the sandbox built and move the toys and stuff there and show her that this is where she should dig and also hide some stuff in there for her to "find".

In general, things have been going great. I take her for a long walk or perferably a run in the morning with my dog running belt on (from rei: http://www.rei.com/product/668825). I adjust the leash down to about 3.5 feet or so and we go off for a slow run. She follows me behind and to the right most of the time and seldom tries to pull ahead. It really seems to go well and tire her out a bit. I have been going back to work this week and I feed her and let her out and then she stays home all day. She seems to just nap on the sofa. I don't allow her on the sofa and tell her not to jump up on the sofa when I am around and she is looking to, but when I am away, she takes over. If that is the worst thing about her behavior, things are great.

The only other behavior thing aside from joining me on the furniture is one from her past. She likes to keep her toys and not share. I throw her a frisbee and she will chase it down, pick it up and run around with it. If I come over, she wants to play tug. Well, I know that isn't productive and I know I don't want her to learn that she can get me to chase her with it. I am going to have to review some of the dog books and see how to teach her to "leave it". I know I have to use a leash to work with her on it. If she can overcome her possessiveness with toys/treats, she might even be able to go to a home with another dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
My parents said that we all are blessed to have gotten Hermes. Thank you for what you have done and what you are doing.
~The Kinnamans~