Saturday, March 22, 2008

Another week, another bottle of pain meds

Adrien seems to be doing well with her meds. It looks like we have straightened out the question of surgery. She has an appointment on Wed. to see the surgeon (a different one) and then we will set the schedule of surgery/recovery. Looks like she will be with me for a good long time.

I was thinking the other day what a good apartment dog she would make. People see a 60 pound dog and don't think apartment dog, but she hangs out here all day and just goes out to go to the bathroom. She has wonderful house manners, doesn't chew up stuff and is happy to lay on a blanket or the floor. She has all the characteristics an apartment person could want.

Today was bath day. I did a differential weight with Adrien and myself and then without her and she is just over 60 lbs. Then I tossed her in the deep tub. She wasn't wild about getting in there, but made no move to get out. I washed her and then did a bit of drying and she wasn't hopping out of the tub so I had to lean over and lift her out. She smells much fresher now and I didn't have to use Febreze :-) .
After bathing her, I was thinking to myself, when is her heartworm pill day? I hadn't given her one and she has been with me for 3 weeks now. I checked the meds log at the shelter and sure enough she was due last week. Monica gave me pills for 3 months which is a reasonable bet if she is just getting scheduled next week and then there is whatever lead time for surgery plus 8 week recovery. She will be here into the summer which means I better start thinking ahead as I have a summer diving trip booked already. I guess she will be doing her final recovery in late June at the shelter or with another foster.

No comments: