Thursday, November 20, 2008

I am worthless and week, now drop and give myself 20

Inspired by too much "It's me or the dog" on Animal Planet, I thought I would do the right thing and put Ryan in his crate at night so that he wouldn't join me in bed. Well, unlike at the shelter, he doesn't love to be in his crate and I know that. I got down the crate from the garage wall. This is a medium or a large crate, which is smaller than the XL crate in the living room for when I leave for the day. I set it up on the left side of my bed. He has a dog bed on the floor on the right side of the bed which he gets on to start sleeping at night but then he gets up later and jumps on the bed. I crated him after a short walk last night and went to bed. He immediately started whining and howling. I know I have to ignore him and I did for about an hour and a half but then it became too much for me and I let him out and put him on his doggy bed. He went wild when I let him out and ran around jumping up all over the place but he finally calmed a little so I put him on the doggy bed and put him down when he tried to get in the bed. A while later he jumped up on the bed and I put him down. And over and over. He stayed down for a while and I went to sleep and when I woke up a bit later, he was curled up next to my legs. I was tired and I let it go. Not a great start to getting him to stay off the bed at night. I thought about putting a baby play yard fence around his dog bed, but he can hop over that no problem.

No comments: