Thursday, November 27, 2008

Separation anxiety

I was watching "It's me or the dog" yesterday and they had an episode with this Patterdale terrier on it. He lived with this family and the 18 year old daughter and the dog were inseparable. He slept with her, snacked with her, went for walks with her and he was anxious all day when she was away at school. He was aggressive when anyone came near her. The part of the episode that resonated with me was the separation anxiety bit. One thing that Victoria observed is that the 2 had bonded so closely and that the girl made a big fuss when coming and going. Victoria wanted to ensure that the comings and goings were more detached and that the girl give up the constant holding of the dog and sleeping with the dog, etc. I think I am guilty of some of that same behavior. I know that Ryan is overly keyed up when I return. He jumps up over and over which I try to ignore but I need to do a better job of turning my back on him until he is calm. The training they did with the dog for the separation anxiety was pretty much like what Dana Cooper had recommended to me before. I need to go into another room and leave Ryan behind and close the door and give him progressively longer and longer separations and the same thing with leaving through the front door. I guess it has just been easy for me to cope with Ryan since I can crate him so readily when I want to leave and he isn't large enough to bowl me over when he does his kangaroo greeting when I return home. The issue isn't really either of those things, but building the independent confidence in him that he could achieve if the separation anxiety were reduced/eliminated.

No comments: