Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Another week of Oryo

Oryo spent the weekend at the shelter while we had family stuff going on here. He did well last week other than being guarded around new folks and nipping my teenage son who was home from college and he felt threatened by when Ben came close to his doggie cave and then was between Oryo and I. I am waiting on a followup with the behavioralist to see what to do about that.

I have left him free to roam the house for 6 - 7 hours yesterday and today. There were no issues with anything being chewed/torn, but he did have pee accidents in the house both times. I know he had gone to the bathroom before I left in each case, so perhaps the volume of water I am leaving him is too much or perhaps he needs to be left in his crate so that he remembers to hold it. Both times, when I came home, he went right out and did "all his business" and he hasn't had any poop accidents in the house. I praise him whenever he goes outside, so I just need to work on how long he stays inside alone and whether to leave him out of his crate. We haven't had any accidents when I am home, so that is a good indicator at least.

I was just walking Oryo down to the mailboxes. He doesn't like it there because there are dogs inside the wood fence right by the boxes so he stays away from the mailboxes themselves. He wriggled out of his collar and he headed home and waited at the door as I was walking behind him. This collar doesn't get any tighter. I think a Martingale collar is better for him when he walks.

No comments: