Friday, February 23, 2007

Running around like a maniac

Yesterday I got home from work and came inside and Sandy wasn't inside. It was a cleaning lady day and the house looked nice and clean, but the ladies had put Sandy in the backyard. This isn't an issue since she loves it out there and they usually come in the late afternoon. I am not sure when they came yesterday. I went into the backyard and Sandy greeted me in her normal frenzied affectionate way. She ran up to me, doing circles around me as I sat on the step stool out back and she got a bit of petting and then she tore off running around the yard. She did laps around the back yard and down the long side of the house for what seemed like 10 minutes. She just kept running at full speed. When she went off running, I decided that I needed to take the cold weather cap off the faucet and put more water into the fountain as the weather was beginning to run it dry. Sandy just kept right on running. I stopped adding water and went back to sit down to watch her and she ran right through the fountain. I figured she was going in for some water, but she ran into it, spun around in place (it is longer than she is) and then she plopped down for a second to cool off and get wet and then she spun up again and took off running. She made several more frenzied passes and trips through the fountain and then finally went and lay down in the grass with her tongue hanging out and panting. I went inside and got a towel and dried her off as best that I could before I let her bring her dirty wet self inside onto the freshly mopped floors.

Tomorrow is dog training at Tomlinsons. I need to call the shelter this afternoon and see what dog I might pickup for Ben to train. Something in the 1-25 pound range is probably about right. Now I just have to figure out the transport logistics. Sandy Ben and I can go to the shelter to get the dog, but do I crate both dogs, or put them in the back compartment of the SUV together. It is a short drive from the shelter to the training, but, I don't know what dog we will get. Alternatively, I could drop Ben/Sandy at Tomlinsons and rush over to the shelter to grab another dog. That still leaves returning the other dog to the shelter, but I could use a similar tactic. Well, will just have to see who Monica thinks we should take for Ben to train.

I will probably write again tomorrow with a wrapup of training. Dana, the trainer, tells me that I don't need to bring the premier collar and that Sandy should be fine without it after some training.

No comments: