Saturday, February 10, 2007

She puts the P in painfully timid

Well, today was a mixed up day. I planned to take Sandy to the Petsmart adoption day today. I told Randy that I would be there and he could drop by and meet Sandy. I was hoping that her okay performance in the much small Petco last weekend when I was doing some shopping would mean good things. I was finishing up morning stuff and Ben dropped by with Bill/Garrett to pickup his wallet and stuff to go to Best Buy. I told them I was headed to Petsmart for the adoption day from 12-3 and said I might see them there. Sandy ran and hid when she saw the 3 of them coming in. She was extremely shy and wouldn't come to Ben or Bill/Garrett and she got nervous and peed a tiny bit. I cleaned things up and she was okay to follow me to the other part of the house, but didn't want to come out where the other 3 men were. They went on their way and I got Sandy's leash and hooked her up and took her in the car. When I pulled up to Petsmart, I knew I had messed up. I started to think to myself, hmmm, Petsmart, 2/11, oh crud, it is 2/10. No wonder there is a PAWS van outfront. I saw Ben/Garrett down the parking lot at the Best Buy so I took Sandy on her leash down to see them. They were waiting for their ride back to Garrett's as Bill had dropped them off to run an errand. I went down to Petsmart and picked up some chew things and on my way back to the car remembered there was a shelter email about a special adoption event this Sat. at Brushy Creek MUD office. I didn't know exactly where that was, so I called and had to leave a message on the shelter voicemail.

I do know where Brushy Creek road is, so I decided to take a drive out there while trying to get the shelter or Monica. Well, no luck, so I pulled into Brushy Creek Lake Park and took Sandy for a walk. Randy called and asked where I was. Oh crud again. I told him about the SNAFU and he said he was going to go do some shopping and we could checkin after that to see where to meet. We finished our walk, no luck on getting directions to the adoption event and no answer on Randy's phone, so we went home. Randy called when we just got home and I told him to come over. Sandy was out playing in the backyard and Randy and Tommy showed up at the house. I got her to come inside, but she ran away in the house. I decided to try outside and see if she did any better, but she still wouldn't come to any of us. I sent Randy and Tommy inside and I got a leash and Sandy came to me to get hooked up. Sandy and I went inside, but she was still trying to stay away from the "new men". I finally got to settle down in front of me on the couch and Tommy was able to pet her a little bit as she leaned way in to get a treat from him a couple of times, but she wouldn't' lean all the way to Randy for a treat or anything. He leaned in to her and she felt a bit threatened and he was barely able to give her a little pet while I was still petting her. She growled at him to let him know he was invading her space and I had to shush her. They finally gave up left to do other things and I realized that I may be too optimistic about the progress she has made in her shyness to strangers.

Interestingly, all the strangers today were men and I do need to do a followup experiment with females to see if she is more shy around men than women.

No comments: