Saturday, February 10, 2007

That's not a squirrel, it's Eddy

Twice this week, I have let Sandy out to chase a squirrel and been surprised to see that it wasn't a squirrel that had her at the back door, but a male chihuahua named Eddy. Eddy lives in the neighborhood behind us and he seems to find his way under fences. A call to his family yields a quick retrieval and he is very friendly. The good news is, Sandy gets along find with him. She runs out and wants to play and they get along fine. I haven't really seen Sandy have problem with any of the dogs we have encountered.

A bit after Eddy left, Sandy picked up a rawhide chip that she had gotten and went running into the backyard with it while I was on the phone. Well, after my post a few days ago, I was watching attentively. I slid quietly out the backdoor (only because it was ajar since it squeaks so loudly, I should fix that, but that is another issue) and watched her run around with it. She headed for a spot under one of the cedar trees and started digging up some of the dead cedar "leaves", or whatever you call that stuff, under the tree and it was clear to me that she intended to bury it. I gave her a quick yell and she wandered off with the chip in her mouth and I watched her go down the side of the house and wander back and forth and then settle in a spot where there was some space under the fence and start to dig at the grass. I yelled at her again and she stopped that. I told her to take the rawhide inside and she did. So, it appears that the answer to where all the rawhides have gone is "in holes". I will have to ask the dog trainer what I do about her digging. She digs little holes her and there and I cover them back up, but I haven't figured out what to do to keep it from happening in the first place.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog David. Sandy is really benefiting from the time with you!

Linda W