Friday, August 22, 2008

Small update

So, Ryan is coming out of his shell a tiny bit. He is not only shy/fearful, but he also attaches to the person he is with and then has separation anxiety. He does not like to go out for walks. He is shy about going out the door and then will be fine heading out but if he sees anything going on outside in the street or down the block, he is freaked and wants to head back to the safety of inside.

He does fine sleeping on his dog bed next to my bed. He settles right in when I am getting ready for bed and then stays there when I go to bed. He got up this morning and I was concerned from yesterday's throwing up so I got up too. He started jumping up on me and running around. He is in a good mood in the morning and almost playful. I took him straight out to potty and he went. He even wags his tail sometimes in the morning. He climbed in my lap for some petting too. He is fully house trained, though he did pee in the house the first night when left alone for a while. Other than that, no accidents and if I take him outside, he goes and does his business.

He is getting a little less timid about going into the backyard. I can't just open the door and out he heads to explore, but when I opened the door this morning he headed out ahead of me. That is progress as he usually tags along and then when I sit on the bench he will wander around a little bit.

Last night, observing his behavior, it struck me that he is like a cross between a dachsund and a meerkat. I only know about them from some tv shows and not in depth, but he has that way of holding his head and looking around, a long sleep body, etc. I am sure it isn't genetically true, but it struck me funny.

No comments: