Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Baxter

I couldn't find a solution to the allergy problem, so I am unable to bring Moolatte back into foster. I hate to give up on the challenge of socializing him especially as I see how well he takes to the dog caretakers at the shelter, but I don't have another way other then spending extra time with him at the shelter. In the interim, it has been too quiet here without a dog (other then Ben nagging me that we need a dog), so we went to the shelter last night to look at our short hair dog options. Alisand had suggested this weekend that I take home Stringer to give him a break from the shelter. I considered taking Alamo and Stringer home for the week for a break or taking Baxter as a foster (all 3 dogs were adopted and eventually returned). Ben was leaning toward Baxter so we went and met with Baxter and decided to bring him home.

Baxter's wrap from his adopters who returned him is that he was very destructive. Based on all I have read and watched, that is the hallmark of a dog who needs more exercise. Baxter is listed as a Pit/Boxer mix and both are high energy breeds. I have heard as much as 2 hours of exercise a day for a Boxer. My plan is to do multiple 30-45 minute walks a day with him and see how that works out. I also want to try to get him working on the treadmill.

No comments: