Thursday, January 8, 2009

Muddy feet

I am cleaning a lot of muddy paws these days. There are major patches in my backyard and Baxter likes to go out and chase squirrels and wander around. He is an active young dog. I have been walking him at least 1.5 miles twice a day and other short walks. We took a run the other morning and he did fine. His biggest issue is that he walks in front of me and can end up blocking, though when running he falls more beside. I have been using a Gentle Leader Easy Walker harness with him and it works great.

I weighed him this morning before giving him his monthly HW preventative and he is just under 60 lbs. I left him home in the crate yesterday while I went to work and he of course was fine. We played with the Chuckit flying squirrel in the yard yesterday and he really liked it. He ran and ran and ran. He has been taking advantage of the various comforters around and hanging whereever I am. I want to try to get him on the treadmill tonight. He was walking his front feet on treadmill the other day when I was holding a hot dog for him. Hope to get in front of treadmill today and hold the leash and hot dog so he is all 4's on. Haven't had any destructiveness, but he has been chewing various chew toys, stuffed toys, etc. Just have to keep up with his energy level and make sure he is worn out daily.

No comments: