Thursday, January 15, 2009

More on treadmill

Baxter is really interested in the treadmill. He was back there yesterday and I turned it on and put it up to 1.2 and he hopped on and walked at the front of it looking for me to give him treats. I didn't have any and so he hopped off after about 10 seconds. I took him on there this morning after our walk because he was seeming very frisky. I had purchased some new training treats from Nutro that are like little squares of jerky and I broke them into smaller pieces. I turned it on and set it to 1.4 and he hopped right on and started walking. I went around the front of the treadmill and put a piece in my fingers and let him nibble it as I held it in my fingers. We went on that way for more than 4.5 minutes. I need to work on spreading out the amount of time for each treat. My fingers got nibbled quite a bit but that is okay. He really seems to go for the treadmill with no leash required, but the trick is to get the speed up more, to reduce the number of treats and to extend the length of time. Overall, it is very encouraging.

No comments: