Monday, January 12, 2009

A short walk on the treadmill

Put Baxter back on the treadmill last night. We are still experimenting and this was only the second time. I put him on a leash and brought out the hot dog pieces and he was following me closely. I got him partially on the treadmill by holding some hotdog from in front of it through the opening above the motor and then passed his leash over the handlebar. Lori turned on the treadmill and Baxter was still just walking with his front feet though some repositioning of the treats finally got him on. I got Lori to move the speed up to 1.0 mph and that seemed okay. I didn't want to give Baxter too much hot dog so had him eating it from my fingers while I tried not to let him have all of the piece but that wasn't great because some little bit would fall on the belt and he would put his head down to eat it. The whole thing was just 3 minutes on the treadmill and I need to find smaller treats to give and something I don't mind him having a bunch of. Baxter returned to the treadmill a number of times during the evening to see if I was going to bring out more hotdog and he even went over and sat on the belt waiting, so I see that as a good sign. I need to figure out the correct treat and smaller bits and give him more sessions and longer sessions, but with a few weeks practice, he could get used to the treadmill.

No comments: