Saturday, April 19, 2008

Can't keep a good girl down but you can slow her for a while

Well, the tranquilizer knocked Adrien out yesterday during the middle of the day. She was behaving so I took off the No Bite collar so she could be more comfortable. When I put I put it back on later, I apparently didn't do a great job as she got it off in her crate while I was running an errand. After taking her in the pen to lay with her, put on her antibiotic and try to ice her leg, I put the collar back on and put her in the crate for the night. She wasn't happy at all, but settled down. It took her a bit to find a position where she could lay with her collar.

This morning I switched to a better cold bag instead of the ice pad in a sleeve that I was using and I can tell it is more effective since she doesn't want me to keep it on her. I spent a while petting her and letting her lay there with me with her collar off so she would settle down. Finally I had to give her the tranquilizer so it would take effect while I am off at adoption day. My buddy Randy called to let me know about the boomerang event going on at Zilker. I feel bad that I can't be there to help out. Joe Rader had sent out a request for help and I fully intended to help but then the surgery was scheduled this week and the leg has been swollen and a bit weepy and I have my adoption day and I just haven't/can't make it down there. I have to leave for the shelter to get things ready for adoption day in 30 minutes and she is curled up and sleeping there in her bed and I have mixed feelings about leaving the collar off and leaving her there but I know that the correct thing to do is to get her up, put on a collar and put her back in the crate. The tranquilizer should help her relax in the crate even though I got her up. I guess I am a softy, but I need to do what is best for her whether she likes it or not, but feel guilty because it is only what is best for her because I have to leave. If I were staying here with her, she could just lay there and sleep like she is now for the entire afternoon. Sigh.

No comments: