Thursday, April 17, 2008

Not a bad first night

Well, Ben helped me take Adrien out to try to go to the bathroom last night. She had a little bit of water last night and no problems but didn't want to eat. We took her out with him holding the leash and encouraging her and me holding up her midsection to back with a towel sling under her. She didn't go, but she enjoyed sniffing outside. Her hind section was still not awake from the epidural. We put her in her crate (which she doesn't like, so it took some prodding and lifting of the rear) and I put on her cone. We moved the crate by the backdoor for proximity She really didn't like that, but I turned out the lights and took my laptop in the bedroom and worked in there. She whined and made a bit of noise, but went to sleep after a bit of complaining.

I got up this morning and went to let her out and she had shed the cone, but the stitches don't look any the worse for the wear. I put her immediately on the leash and she made it the few steps to the backdoor and sat down. It took me a minute to get the towel sling under her to help her over the door step. She doesn't seem to enjoy the towel sling, but there has to be absolutely no jumping, so she is going to have to get used to it for a while. Once we got over the threshold, I let her off the sling and we walked a few steps into the yard and then perhaps another 15 feet and she went a little. I turned her around and helped her back in and right into the XPen by where I will be working for the next few days. I sat with her and pet her and she seemed calm. I looked over at the incision and it looks pretty good even though she didn't have her cone. I don't really see any weeping (which is okay either way) and I don't see any major swelling or any edema which they told me would be normal. I went and got her dose of pills and tried to shove it down her mouth and that didn't work so well. It took me multiple passes to get the pills down and I had to check the blanket to ensure I got them all. For the last pieces, I got some spray cheese and she licked them right up. That is the strategy from hence forth. She is taking 75mg Ultram x 3 per day, 170mg Previcox x 1 per day, 500mg Cephaloxin x 2 per day. I offered her some water and food and she wasn't interested so I left them in the pen. I sat with her and put on an ice pack to her incision for a few minutes and she let me rub her stomach and laid on her side and seemed content. I closed her back in and moved the 8 feet over here and she is lying on her side and hanging out. As long as I don't see her licking, she can have the cone off while I am here.

No comments: