Friday, April 4, 2008

Surgery on the 16th

Well, found out Wed. that Adrien has a slot for surgery on the 16th. The question is whether to go with extracapsular repair or TPLO. Dr. Lewis recommended TPLO in Adrien's case. He will do either surgery, but feels there is a good chance that the extracapsular repair will fail down the line. The TPLO is a lot more, but within the money we have raised. My concern either way is that I have read that about 50% (and I have read AT LEAST 50%) of dogs that have one CCL repair, end up having the other because of the extra stress on the opposite leg from compensating for the issue. Well, can't let potential future problems keep us from getting her better now. So, on the plus side, the extracapsular repair is significantly less invasive, but it also probably won't slow the onset of osteoarthritis she is likely to develop when she gets older. The TPLO is much more invasive but should slow the advancement of joint degeneration and osteoarthritis in her knee as she gets older.

Jennifer at ABR has had good experience with Dr. Lewis and has had dogs have both surgeries with him (different dogs) and says at this point she listens to his advice and opts for that surgery. I know there is a lot of online info about TPLO being a quick buck for surgeons, but I also know that isn't the case here as ATA is a very low cost service to rescue groups. This surgery would cost 3x more (or higher) at another vet. I guess what freaks me out a bit is the invasiveness of the surgery, but I can't let that hold me back from getting what is best for Adrien. Monica says we have the funds for the TPLO, so that is the decision I will also recommend.

No comments: