Monday, April 21, 2008

Routine

Nothing major to report from yesterday. We have gotten into a routine where I let Adrien out (and remove her donut collar) in the morning to relieve herself and then we go to the Xpen for her to drink/eat/get pills/lick me. Then I get her laying down and I ice her leg and ankle and put on neosporin. I hang out with her in the Xpen for 30min - 1.5 hours (or more) and then I take her back to get her donut on and into the crate. With the tranquilizer and if I leave the room, she settles down. She must be bored, she spends all day laying around and then comes in the Xpen and lays around. We do it again in the early afternoon (I have been in here in the Xpen since a little before 3 and it is almost 5) when she gets her pain killers and I ice/neosporin and she relaxes with no donut and then back in the crate, rinse and repeat at night before bed. I try to change the comforter and launder it from the crate at least once a day (rotating with 2 comforters though I have a third I should get in the rotation). We go back to ATA on Wed. and find out what the next phase is. The meds they gave me for her are only 1 week, but I go back, so there may be more coming. Based on not taking xrays until week 4 and probably not starting rehab until week 8, she is going to be living in her crate for a long time. I need to get someone to come in and watch her while I am gone for vacation,but I need to wait and see where we are on the timeline to see how much work that is. It is possible she could go to the shelter, but the stairs are the issue there. Very bad idea for her to do stairs anytime soon unless she is in rehab and then I think she can.

It is nice to have a laptop to sit in here and work. I was thinking about bringing out the TV to sit it out here so I can hang with her while she rests. She is pretty good about resting when someone is with her (well, very good), but she is very social and gets up when you open/close a door to see if someone is coming to be with her.

Who knew I was going to be a nurse instead of a foster. The leg looks a bit better though still more swollen then I would like. I don't really see much drainage at all which is a really great sign. I see a bit in a spot or 2 when she has been outside and then comes into the Xpen and stands there eatin/drinking, but only sometimes. I hope they give her a good report on Wed. She won't lay down in the car, so I need to tranquilize her but then it will be tough to get her in and out. If she stands the whole ride there, the leg will look much worse. Not sure there is much I can do at this point. Hopefully the incision will be healed by the following Wed and the stitches can come out. It would be great to not have the meds/neosporin/icing routine.

I went to the office today for the first time since Wed. I think I may have stretched the interval to her pain pills a bit by the way she was acting after I gave them until they kicked in. I need to get that timing a little better.

No comments: