Thursday, June 21, 2007

Outdoor dog

Through numerous emails back and forth with Dana (thanks Dana),I think we are ruling out separation anxiety and are focusing on Bubby just having some negative association with being inside the house and being anxious in the house and wanting to be essentially an outside dog. Bubby's energy level is up from her being on the mend from HW treatment. Tomorrow is 6 weeks and she is supposed to be "okay". I have started to take her for walks on the leash and she seems to do very well there. She has nice leash manners and is holding her tail up and not tucked under so that is a positive sign. She does get a bit scared when dogs on the other side of fences bark at her, but she is doing better with that. I started working on Sit and Come. She sits quite well for a treat in the house and has already figured out that she has to sit for the leash at the front door, but she doesn't seem to be confident enough inside to do the come training. I did it outside on the back deck last night and she gave me good eye contact and pretty well came to me (I only moved from one bench to the other), but she didn't come and sit. Not a bad first start.

I guess it is just a bit of a different thing for me to have an outside dog. She spends most of her time in the yard. She comes in to eat and will hang out inside a bit, but spends all day and sleeps out at night. I setup a tarp in the corner of the yard where she lays against the fence when it is raining to provide her cover and it will be interesting to see how it holds up in the rain.

No comments: