Sunday, June 17, 2007

Saturday at the shelter / Sunday in the rain

Saturday was my monthly Petco adoption day. Since Bubby theoretically has 1 more week of "quiet" time (not sure how that can happen) and she is having some behavior issues, I decided it wasn't a good thing to take her. I discussed it with Monica and she thought I should bring Bubby by the shelter to see how she would do with a confident dog as a run-mate. I brought her by and left her in the large play area out back and went off to my adoption day. When I came back, I heard she did fine in there and then they needed the area for a "meet and greet" with a pair of dogs and they went to get her and she rolled over. The volunteer who tried to get Bubbette didn't know what to do so went for help from Monica and somehow they got Bubby to get up and move. They didn't know what specifically they did, so I didn't learn the trick to doing it instead of lifting her up.

It is 6:20 on Sunday morning now. Bubby came to see me upset about 5:40 and I heard the rain. In my groggy state, I went to let her out so she could do her business in the rain and come back in. Well, she didn't come back in. What to do, I thought. I went and switched into a swimsuit and flip flops and went to see where she was. I found her just laying there along the back fence line as calm as can be. As I approached her, she rolled over to show me her belly, but I declined to give her a rub. I figure, a little rain won't hurt her, she needs a bath anyway, so I am just hanging out here waiting to see when she decides to come inside. The wait is killing me. I have the urge to go try to coax her inside, but she does seem to be relaxing out there as far as I could tell and everything I read about thunder/lightning (which we aren't having, just plain old rain), says that you should make a "safe - place" for the dog and let them go there. Since she didn't look panicked out there in the rain, I guess it is best to just let her be there.

No comments: